Thursday, January 1, 2015

A new year and a new chapter

Happy New Year!
 
It is not only a new year but it is a new chapter in the Mister's and my life.  Around the first of November I officially moved in to my little house in the country.  We bought a 104 year old farm house that is situated on 5 acres in North Central Indiana.  I'm "back home again in Indiana." 


I have a sweet little barn with two stalls for my horses with a lovely fenced pasture.  In the barn there is plenty of space to add another stall, chicken coup or any number of additional uses.


Behind the barn is a forested area with great trails that we and the dogs are enjoying exploring.  I will have plenty of space for vegetable and flower gardens.  And do you see the little white structure in front of the barn.  You guessed it.  It is an outhouse.  The Mister insists we will NOT refurbish it to working conditions since we have two perfectly functional INDOOR bathrooms.  I find it quaint and hey...you never know when you might need it in an emergency, eh?  Well, he and I will continue to debate the outhouse renovation.  In the meantime it is serving as a garden shed.
 
I love, love, LOVE living in the country.  It is so peaceful and quiet without city noises.  And without city lights the nights are so dark!  Everyday I make new discoveries.  Having never lived on a farm  (small as this one might be) nor have I ever lived in the country, each day I have a new adventure.
 
I am just now (today) unpacking the remaining boxes of my sewing machine, fabric and supplies as well as my paper crafting supplies.  I'm converting the basement into my crafting and sewing room.  Once I'm all set up again I'll be back into crafting and sewing. 
 
Spring will bring the real discoveries of country living.  The horses will be moved her then.  Currently they are being well cared for in Canada.  I can hardly wait for them to get here.  It will be a lot of work for this old gal but I'm eager to jump in with both muck booted feet.  The garden will have to be tilled and ready for planting.  I really want to add some chickens and ducks in the spring as well.  So as you can tell, we are slowly making the transition and reading, studying and learning about what it takes to live on a farm.
 
Thank you for stopping by.  It has taken me a while to unpack and settle so I've not blogged in several months.  I'm eager to share our adventures with you.
 
I wish you and yours all of the best in 2015.  For the Mister and myself, it is going to be an exciting year!  We just know it!
 
Until next time,
Cheers!
 
Jennifer


5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Jennifer your property looks gorgeous how nice to be in the county too! so quiet it will be after being in a city! looking forward to your creations once your settled take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you, it looks great and will be fun exploring your new home, bet you can't wait to get the horses, I am with your hubby though, keeping the outhouse a garden shed sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a longtime dream come true for you, DH and all your family! It looks like it is right out of a designer magazine. Simply glorious! But I hear you-there will be far than plenty to do!
    You DH will be very happy with the outhouse if your power goes out for an extended time.

    So very happy for you!! Glad to hear you will have a special crafty place for you to relax and use your other skills.

    I look forward to your continuing adventures! May it be a wonderful year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jennifer...what a lucky girl! I have always wanted a house with a front porch like that...Live your dream girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new home, Jennifer! The dream home that you've been waiting for! Wishing you all the best and I can't wait til you get into the rhythm of things and start baking again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.